Tuesday, July 2, 2013

4th of July Wreath

This week, as we were walking out the door, my son looked at my springtime wreath on our front door and asked, "Mom, when are you going to make a wreath for the summer?" That was all the prompting that I needed to head to my local Joann's craft store-one of my favorite places on Earth!

I knew that I wanted to do a 4th of July wreath, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to make it out of-yarn, tulle, ribbon, etc. When I walked into the store, there was a sample wreath already done and Joann's even provided the instructions! So here is how you make this beautiful 4th of July wreath:

Materials:
1 ea 12" Styrofoam ring 
1- yard red tulle
1- yard white tulle
3/4 yard blue tulle
Your choice star embellishments (I used flowers that came in a package by the ribbon, but they look like stars)

Instructions:

Starting with the blue tulle, cut 3" by wof strips. Then take each of the 3" strips and cut them into 18" strips. (You should have enough 3"x18" strips to cover 1/4 of the Styrofoam wreath.)
Fold each 3"x18" strip in half and wrap around the ring pulling the ends through the loop to create a knot. Do this with each strip to cover 1/4 of the ring.

With the red and white tulle, repeat the instructions for cutting until you have a pile of 3"x18" red strips and a pile of 3"x18" white strips. Folding these in half the same way as the blue strips, alternate red and white until you have covered the Styrofoam ring.

Using straight pins, glue, etc, attach your star embellishments to the blue section of your wreath.

To hang, I used a strip of tulle that was left over. I folded it, knotted the ends, and then used pushpins to attach it to the back.

Happy crafting everyone! And have a very Happy (and safe) 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment